The Region (South Asia)
South Asia is a place of great contracts. It is an up-and-coming global high-tech center while also being a place with thousands of villages with no running water or electricity. From the heights of the mighty Himalayas to the crystal-clear waters of the Maldives, South Asia is both awe-inspiring and heart-wrenching. South Asia has the largest concentration of lostness on the planet. It is the birthplace of Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, and Jainism, and is home to more Muslims than any other part of the world.
The Target City
The target city in which our Team Associates, Jack and Jean, will be working in is known for its temperate climate and lavish green space. The people of the city thrive with personal and professional success, yet their life in Christ remains dismal and sad. Unreached People Groups abound in the city with the largest group being the Muslim peoples. Less than 2% of the city is currently reported to be Christian, and many of those demonstrate faith in the health and wealth gospel rather than authentic Christianity. True, believing churches do exist but often find themselves inwardly focused.
The Great Commission task for Christians is to make disciples. God's primary agency for completing this task is His Church. Jack and Jean's job will be to minister to the Pastors and lay leaders of established churches - through training, encouragement and partnership - helping them understand the true biblical vision of the church as it fulfills its role in the Great Commission in South Asia.
What is a Team Associate (TA)?
TA's are missionaries under the "umbrella" of the International Mission Board as a member of an IMB team on the field. While the IMB vets them and provides many services for them, they are commissioned and fully supported by their sending church (West Conroe Baptist).
- 2015-2020 - WCBC adopts a UPG in East Asia and makes two trips each year establishing relationships within the group. Jack and Jean feel the call to be permanent full-time workers on the field and begin the application process with the IMB.
- July 2020 - COVID! The door to East Asia closes for the foreseeable future.
- September 2020 - God miraculously and quickly opens a new door to South Asia.
- January 2021 - Jack, Jean and WCBC accept an invitation to partner with a team in South Asia to work with indigenous churches to reach the Muslim people group.
- February 2021 - Formal covenant with the IMB is signed.
- February - June 2021 - Language study; raise awareness and support with partner churches.
- July/August 2021 - Transition to target city.
How Can You Be Involved?